Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Buckeyes- yes it's time (Candy)

When I say buckeyes, what do you think of? Do you think of those annoying Ohio state buckeye fans? Yes, I said it. I don't hold it against my friends that they are Ohio State buckeye fans, I just taunt them. Okay, back to the only buckeyes that mean something. The little balls of peanut butter dipped in chocolate. Hold on a minute, let me wipe the drool from my mouth. My mom makes these one time a year at Christmas time, which is always a happy time.

Please do not lick your computer screen as I am giving the recipes, it's not attractive:)

I'm not sure how much of this recipe is a secret, but rather than something my mom has perfected. No one can make them like she does.

Remember the beginning post and we talked about childhood memories? This is one of those times that I would sit in the kitchen waiting for her to mess one up, just dip in the chocolate too much so it didn't really look like a buckeye anymore. She had to have them perfect, so I welcomed mistakes.

Okay here we go.... Buckeyes.. I am going to break it out into parts so it kind of makes more sense. First, you make the peanut butter balls, cool them, then add the chocolate.

Peanut Butter Balls:

2 Sticks of margarine
2 cups of peanut butter (please save us all the icky faces and use Jif-choosy moms use Jif)
1 1/2 pounds of Powered sugar (yes that's right pounds, not cups)

-Melt the butter and peanut butter in a double boiler (doubler boiler works better). Once it's melted add the powered sugar. Mix well and then roll them into little balls on a cookie sheet and put in the fridge. They need to be firm for the next step.

Chocolate Mixture:
1/4 small slab of parawax
1 (12 oz) large bag of Chocolate chips

-In the double boiler- cut and melt parawax and chocolate chips until smooth.
(you may need to keep repeating this step if starts to get stiff while you are working on the buckeyes)

Okay, putting it all together:

-Stick with toothpick and dip in chocolate mixture leaving tops plain (just like a buckeye). Once you dip them, put them on a piece of wax paper gently. Once the chocolate has cooled and it's firm you will keep them in the fridge (they should be kept in the fridge).

There it is, now go at it. Please let me know how they turn out. I haven't attempted these myself, it's too much pressure, because like I said my mom has perfected them. I don't have a picture, but I sure wish I did. It would be nice to show you how great my mom's turn out. Once she makes them I will add a picture. I tried to do a search, but they just didn't look as good. You could google a buckeye, but I think the only thing you will see are the Ohio State buckeyes (puke) or just the WRONG way to go about making buckeyes.

Good Luck! Have I mentioned how good these are? mmmmmmmm......

3 comments:

noisy penguin said...

My family makes almost the same thing, except with Rice Krispies in them. Yum!

Nerdy said...

Yummmmmmy. And yes, I think of those annoying fans down there :::pointing down to Ohio::: but these sound yummy.

Vicki said...

I've been waiting for YEARS for this recipe, young lady! Thanks for posting it!