Thursday, September 11, 2008

Angie's Famous Strawberry Cupcakes

WOW, these little cupcakes are so wonderful. My husband said they are the best dessert so far. Let me give a shout to Vicki from "Vicki's Heathly eat and Sinful Treats". They are perfect for a summer time treat.

I did have a hard time with the icing. I let the cupcakes cool for several hours and kept the icing in the fridge, but it still was running over the sides of the cupcakes. I can't figure out what I did wrong. Maybe I didn't let the strawberry puree cool down enough. I don't really remember how long I let it sit before pouring it into the frosting.

This is the perfect pairing of icing and cupcake.

Angie's Famous Strawberry Cupcakes from Good Things Catered

Ingredients for Cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries

Ingredients for Frosting:
1/4 cup strawberries
1 tablespoon strawberry liquor (I didn't have any either, so I used strawberry juice from cutting them)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 cupcake pans
Sift flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl
In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy
Add eggs one at a time until combined
Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla until combined
Add flour mixture and stir until just combined
Fold in berries
Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way full
Bake for 20 minutes

For frosting, put berries, liquor, and juice in saucepan
Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes
Let cool then blend until smooth
In bowl of mixer mix cream cheese and butter until creamy
Add sugar, then vanilla
Add berry puree until smooth
Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled

3 comments:

Wakechick said...

My husband and I loved these as well, but I had the same problem. Had to keep them in the fridge to keep the frosting from getting runny. Next time I think I will try fewer strawberries with no liquor and more cream cheese.

Anonymous said...

I think it has to do with the temperature of the room you are making it in and the amount of liquid (some strawberries have more liquid than others). Just add the liquid slowly and you'll be fine. It is a soft (non-forming) frosting.

Mrs.Babbsy said...

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try the more cream cheese approach. You know that can't hurt a recipe!!!

I never considered the temp of the room.

THANKS!