Sunday, October 19, 2008

Honey Peanut Cupcakes


I was a busy bee this weekend. (okay I just wanted to use the busy bee stuff because this recipe used a lot of honey) I spent most of the weekend in the kitchen. Friday night I started the cupcakes and the bread. Saturday, we had a little party so I made a pasta dish, taco cups, spinach dip, stuffed strawberries and of course I had to bake my cake today for my class tomorrow.

I am sick of the kitchen right now.


I found the honey Peanut cupakes on Cupcake by Chockylit. Just the name alone makes you want to make them. They are the perfect comfort food, sweet and salty.


The cupcakes went very well at the party! I had some left over icing and I gave some to my mother in law to put on pancakes. She is going to report back to me. I was going to make waffles this morning, but I just didn't feel like it and I was too lazy to go get milk from the store.


Honey Peanut Cupcakes:

Honey Peanut Cupcakes~9 cupcakes / 350 degree oven
2 tablespoons peanuts, unsalted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 1 tablespoon flour (cake if you have it, otherwise all-purpose)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons grape seed oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons whole milk
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup thick honey
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter1/4 cup sugar
1. Chop peanuts together with the salt and set aside. If you can’t find unsalted peanuts use the salted but only add a pinch of additional salt. Taste the chopped nuts and make sure they are salty.

2. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder into the bowl of a standing mixer.

3. In a medium bowl, combine oil, milk, egg yolks, and honey. Stir to combine.

4. On a low setting, start to beat the dry mixture and slowly add the wet. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until incorporated.

5. Transfer mixture to another bowl. Wash and dry mixer bowl.

6. Whip egg whites with whip attachment on medium-high speed until foamy. With the mixer on medium speed, add cream of tarter and slowly add sugar. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.

7. Scoop a cupful of the stiff egg whites into the batter and stir to combine. This should lighten up the batter.

8. Transfer the batter to the egg whites and gently fold until there are no more streaks of egg white.

9. Fill cupcake cups about 1/3 full. The sprinkle peanut/salt mixture over top. Fill with batter up to 2/3s full and bake at 350 F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.



The recipe said it only made 9 cupcakes, so I decided I would make 4 batches, yeah not a smart move. I got 60, yes that's right 60 cupcakes. My only guess is that it she used fresh honey, very thick and I had store bought.



Honey Cream Cheese Frosting: (there are not enough words to describe this)
4 ounces or 1/2 package of Philly cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter1-2 cups sifted powdered sugar (I used closer to the 2 cups per batch)
2 tablespoons thick honey (I used 3 1/2 tablespoons per batch)

1. Bring butter to room temperature by letting it sit out for 1 or 2 hours.
2. Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment.
3. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
4. Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and the honey. Beat until combined.
5. Add more sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.

Assemble
1. Frost.
2. Topped with chopped, salted peanuts.

1 comment:

Amy~ said...

MMMMMMMMMM, they look good!